Diabetes or Diabetes mellitus is one of the major health problems that the whole world is facing currently and especially when we talk about our country India then it is known as the ‘diabetes capital in the world’.
According to the 2018 reports, more than 80 million people in India are suffering from the diabetes mellitus which is also commonly known as blood sugar.
Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disease where your body either can’t make insulin anymore or can’t able to use insulin effectively which cause rise in blood sugar levels since the work of insulin hormone is to carry the glucose from the blood to the cells but due to this glucose remain in the blood which leads to rise in blood sugar level and cause diabetes mellitus.
There are different types of diabetes a person can suffer from –
- Type 1 diabetes –In this type, the pancreas doesn’t make the insulin anymore as the immune system destroys the cells in the pancreas, overall almost 10 per cent of the people suffering from this problem. The main reason for this kind of diabetes is the genetics of the person. Here person needs to inject insulin daily for the constant supply of glucose to the cells.
- Type 2 diabetes – it occurs when the pancreas isn’t able to produce enough insulin or body can’t use insulin effectively. More than 80 % of the people are suffering from type 2 diabetes and it’s a lifestyle health problem which can be controlled by making some changes in your lifestyle and nutrition.
- Prediabetes- It is that situation where blood sugar level does high than the normal levels but not that much that required diagnosis of type 2 diabetes. If a person is ready to make some change in their lifestyle then it can be very easily managed and controlled.
- Gestational diabetes- A situation of high blood sugar levels during pregnancy when placenta produces insulin blocking hormone.
However, in this article, we will cover only type 2 diabetes, a lifestyle health problem which is very common among Indian households.
Following are the symptoms of type 2 diabetes
- Low energy levels
- Increased hunger
- Increased thirst
- Blurry vision
- Increased urination
Causes of Type 2 diabetes
Now, many of us know that eating too many sweets or sugar cause diabetes but that’s only the half part of the story as there are many lifestyle factors that causes diabetes. If you are overweight then it makes your cells more resistant to the effects of insulin on your blood sugar level.
Processed foods such as biscuits, white bread, soft drinks, ice cream and white flour ( maida ) cause spike in your insulin levels because of lack of fiber and the constant spike of your insulin level cause type 2 diabetes in the long run.
Risk of type 2 diabetes increases if you are overweight, eating too much-processed foods and if you are not physically active.
How to cure type 2 diabetes???
If you are ready to make some changes in your lifestyle such as eating more whole foods such as oats, brown rice, sweet potatoes and vegetables with some form of physical activity then you can fix it and soon you will be off from medications.
- Avoid processed foods and focused on whole grains
- Eat small in every 2-3 hours
- Eat more fiber-rich foods such as vegetables, oats, brown rice, lentils and sweet potato.
- Add healthy fats in your diets such as olive oil, nuts, chia seeds, flaxseeds and fish
- Eat lean protein such as eggs, boneless chicken breast, etc.
You can also check out the video regarding the same on our YouTube channel www.youtube.com/tradinginhealth